While not quite a new entry in the war of words between Marlins prez David Samson and the rest of the human race, I couldn’t resist an excuse to use the above headline. From the Palm Beach Post’s Joe Capozzi (link swiped from Repoz and Baseball Think Factory)
Scott Olsen said he expects to pitch for the Marlins next season, even though team President David Samson has said the left-hander won’t be welcome back if he is convicted of felony charges stemming from his arrest in July.
“Well, he really doesn’t control who comes and who goes, does he?” Olsen said of Samson on Sunday. “As far as I’m concerned it’s the general manager, assistant general manager and owner who do that.
“The team president, I don’t know what the hell he does. He tries to find a stadium. I don’t think he actually has a top hand in the on-field personnel. I think that’s (GM Larry) Beinfest and (assistant GM Mike) Hill and (owner Jeffrey) Loria way before him.”
A few weeks after Olsen was arrested July 21 on charges including DUI and fighting with police, Samson said he would not want a convicted felon on the team. He added that Loria and Beinfest would be involved in any decision.
Olsen (9-12, 5.76 ERA) late last month entered a six-month pretrial diversion program that, if successfully completed will give him a chance to have the felony charges dropped. He still faces the DUI charge.
Still, Olsen said he “wouldn’t be surprised” if the Marlins traded him this winter.
“Not at all, but at the same token, I expect to be back. I don’t foresee anything happening,” said Olsen, who starts tonight against the Nationals.
“That’s the way it works. If you still make league minimum, they’re not going to trade you.”